1912 Aromatherapy is the creation of Shelagh Lenon,
Certified Aromatherapy Health Professional (CAHP).
Welcome to a world of fragrant beauty.
I have been captivated by scent my entire life. Some of my first scent memories include the rich floral scents of my grandfather’s flower shop and the earthy fragrance of Alberta prairie sweetgrass. When I discovered aromatherapy in the mid-1990s, a whole world of fragrant natural beauty opened before me. It was a match made in heaven.
At the heart of my aromatherapy practice is a deep desire to create and connect you to aromatic rituals of self-care that soothe, nourish and restore you from the inside and out.
I bring my years of experience as an aromatherapy practitioner to the formulation of bespoke aromatherapy blends, based on my client’s unique needs and specific intentions – nourishing and restorative face oils & serums, diffuser blends, aromatic roll-ons, bath salts and more.
My line of botanical, organic essential oil fragrances embrace scent as a ritual of self-care, renewal, and transformation.
I use unrefined plant oils & extracts and source authentic, organic or wild-crafted, GC/MS tested, pure essential oils and hydrosols grown and distilled from around the world. I am not associated with any multi-level marketing essential oil companies.
1912 is the year that my Italian grandmother Daisy was born in Calgary. Her 99 years of living a life of beauty, generosity, and service are a source of inspiration to me.
1912 is also the year that my home was built. I like old things, and I am fascinated with our oldest sense – the sense of smell.
What is an aromatherapist?
An aromatherapist is professionally trained in the properties of application and contra-indications of essential oils. Certification is required to ensure that an aromatherapist is trained to professional standards for the safety of the public. In Canada, certification by the Canadian Federation of Aromatherapists allows a professional aromatherapist to utilize the designation CAHP – Certified Aromatherapy Health Professional (CFA, 2015). This certification requires a minimum standard education of 200 hours, plus a completed exam.
Canadian Federation of Aromatherapist members must complete ongoing professional development every year. Here is a selection of some of my recent professional learning:
- New York Institute of Aromatic Studies. Menopausal Skincare with Essential Oils. Completed October 2019.
- One Willow Apothecary, Intuitive Plant Medicine. Eight-week course, completed June 2019
- New York Institute of Aromatic Studies, Balms, Butters and Salves Certificate Program – 24-hour course, completed October 2018
- Sacred Feminine Wisdom School, Practical Priestessing, six-month course, Certificate of Completion September 2018
- The School for Aromatic Studies: Aromatic Applications for the Skin – 61-hour course, completed December 2016
- Joyessence Aromatherapy Centre: Essential Oils in Colour Chemistry Course – 15-hour course, February 2016